Re: can't ./configure scotty on BSD/OS 2.0.1

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:10:52 +0200

From: ant@hint.perm.su wrote:

> I'm new in UNIX. Can anyone help me to install scotty?
> When I'm trying to do ./configure scotty 2.1.1, i get the following error:
> no shared linker definition (TCL_SHLIB_LD) in tclConfig.sh

> When i was compiling Tcl7.5 i get the following message:
> Can't figure out, how to do dynamic loading or shared libraries on
> this system.
> But Tcl/Tk compiles OK. Wish runs.

> What to do?

Scotty comes with a Makefile/configure setup which relies on dynamic

1) Find out how dynamic loading works on BSD/OS 2.0.1 and recompile
Tcl to allow dynamic loading. (Perhaps you can find someone who
did this job for you because it is something which is not a
beginners task.

2) Rewrite the scotty Makefiles so that you can build a statically
linked version. This requires some Tcl/Tk and C language knowledge.
Perhaps there is someone on this list who already did this work?

Solution 1) would be the best solution in the long term since I do not
plan to support a static version anymore. Oh yes, of course, you also
have the option to change the operating system. ;-)

Juergen