Re: More about mib loading problem

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:42:07 +0200

jsong@nlc.com (James Song) wrote:

> After trying to figure out what is wrong with the mib loading problem I
> described in the previous help-needed mail, I find another puzzling
> situation described below:

> I deleted the .idx file, the warning message went away. After further
> playing with the MIB file, I found that if I touched the mib file, scotty
> will print out the warning message about unknown syntax. The
> warning message will go away if the mib file is loaded again. But
> I could not find .idx file any more. The scenario certainly tells
> me that the .idx file is generated.

The .idx file is now a .idy file and it is written into a platform
specific directory, e.g. /usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.1/sun4m-SunOS-5.5 on a
Solaris machine. This scheme allows to share the library files between
multiple platforms.

> I just don't know where the file is placed now. It is certainly not in the
> directory the mib file is in. I could not find anything that describes where
> the *.idx file is placed except one sentence in README file: A condensed
> format of the MIB files is saved to speed up loading times once a MIB has
> been parsed.

I have added a hint to the mib(n) man page so this bug in the
documentation should be fixed now.

Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder schoenw@cs.utwente.nl http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw
Computer Science Department, University of Twente,   (Fax: +31-53-489-3247)