Re: MIB unload function?

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:26:54 +0200

"Martone Mike" <martonem@bah.com> wrote:

> It seems as if there may be some contention in my MIB files that is causing
> me to pull up the wrong values in a program. This isn't a problem since I
> only need one mib at a time, however, I dont know how to unload the
> old MIB. Is this possible?

No. And it is usually not necessary.

> There are 2 MIB files and each has the MIB variable 'baudRate'.
> When I only load the appropriate MIB files i get the correct value,
> which is 1.4MB. When I load both MIB files the baudRate variable
> for the Low Speed board gets called first and I get the value of
> 'b300', which is incorrect.

As people have pointed out, you have to make the name of the MIB node
unique. Adding some additional node names preceeding the MIB node
usually helps although this does not guarantee a unique name. So this
problem might come up again in a few month which makes scripts
somewhat unreliable.

Scotty-2.1.0 and later versions allow to use MIB module names to make
node names unique. (Module names must be unique and hence the problem
is solved for all times - at least if MIB module writers know enough
about SNMP SMI.) For example, SNMPv2-MIB!sysDescr is a unique name for
sysDescr defined in the SNMPv2-MIB module. See the mib(n) man page for
more details.

Juergen