Re: A note on scotty-2.1.1 on Solaris 2.4

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:13:59 +0200

Jochen Wiedmann <wiedmann@ns.neckar-alb.de> wrote:

> some (very minor!) problems I encountered when compiling scotty-2.1.1
> on a sparc-sun-solaris2.4 machine. Perhaps Juergen might like to
> add it to his list of hints?

Yes, thanks for sending them to the list. The Tcl people have changed
Tk4.1p1 so that it supports a --enable-gcc configure option. I made
the same change. The gcc related problems should disappear in the next
patch.

> A final note. Wouldn't it be possible, to set the TCLLIBPATH
> variable in the tkined script? Perhaps by something like this:

> #!/bin/sh
> # the next lines restart using wish \
> TCLLIBPATH="/sw/share/scotty-2.1.0/lib/tnm2.1.0 \
> /sw/share/scotty-2.1.0/lib/tkined1.4.0"; \
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH TCLLIBPATH; \
> exec wish4.1 "$0" "$@"

(You should expect that TCLLIBPATH is already pointing to other
places.)

Yes, I could do this but the problem is that I have to do it not only
for Tkined but also for all the example and Tkined scripts. Even when
I do it for all the scripts in the distribution, people will start
scotty to write their own scripts and scotty will complain because it
can't find the Tnm extension. You also need to edit every script when
you copy it from one system to another which uses a different
filesystem layout. I think I have good reasons to keep the current
procedure until we have a real solution for the problem build into
Tcl.
Juergen