Re: Problems on Olivetti-LSX

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:28:31 +0200

Giuliano_Carlo@tecpi.tecsiel.it wrote:

> Olivetti-LSX isn't in the "configure" list of known Unix OS in Tcl7.5, so
> it compiles fine but doesn't use shared libraries. Tk4.1 compiles too
> and both work perfectly well.
> The problem is, I need the shared libs in order to run Scotty2.1.1
> (do I absolutely need shared libs ? No way to work without them ?
> Scotty2.1.1 compiles ok but fails because of dyn. libs when make
> installing);

Well, this is really a Tcl problem. You should find someone familiar
with Olivetti-LSX to find out how dynamic loading work on this OS. If
you find the answer, send the information to the Tcl team and I am
sure that John will include the required changes.

If you find out that you can't build dynamic loadable libraries on
Olivetti-LSX, you can try to build a static version of scotty. You
have to change the initialization as documented for example in John's
Tcl/Tk book and you have to rewrite the Makefile to build a static
library. There is nothing in the code that requires a dynamic loadable
version. I just decided that I am not going to maintain a static and a
dynamic version because it costs extra time and it makes the Makefile
much more complex.

Juergen