Re: Pinging an entire Class B

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:19:06 +0200

Sam McLane <sam@olympus.is.temple.edu> wrote:

> I need to ping an entire class B in order to load my routers arp cache
> with all mac-ip pairs. I am using Solaris 2.5 and fping will not
> compile for me. ntping will doit but i cannot figure out the
> correct syntax to do say an entire class C at once. I do not care
> about the results. I just want the sytem in the arp cache.

The simplest way to do this is to use the discover script contained in
the examples directory of the scotty distribution. Just call it with a
class B or class C like IP address prefix ("discover -icmp 155.247.19"
or "discover -icmp 155.247"). The script will always probe a class C
like subnet in parallel. Use the options to control the speed and the
load on the network.

Juergen