Re: Scotty installation misery

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:17:02 +0200

Richard Achmatowicz <Richard.Achmatowicz@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm *trying* to install scotty on SunOS 4.1.3.

> 1) I've met the -fPIC problem and, instead of blasting a perfectly good
> SunOS distribution, changed the scotty Makefile to read -fpic instead.

> The SunOS documentation states, concerning the use of the -pic option,
> that "in the (presumably rare) event the tables require a larger size,
> the compiler can be coerced into generating code sequences that permit
> larger linkage table entries with the -PIC option".

> Is there are proven need to use -PIC with these shared libraries?

As far as I know, you are simply not allowed to mix pic and PIC
compiled object modules. So if you want to plan for the future, you
will usually use PIC because recompiling every extension might become
expensive later. If pic works for the extensions you are using and you
are willing to take this risk, just use pic.

> 2) Of course, I also hit the well-known problem:

> sledwick-373> make install
> initialization failed: can't find package scotty 2.1.0

> In looking at the mailing list comments concerning this problem, I
> haven't seen a clear fix described.

See the unix/README file. The TCLLIBPATH variable should be set
automatically during the make install process - this is a bug.

Juergen