Re: Seperate Read-Write Communities

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:51:49 +0200

"Martone Mike" <martonem@bah.com> wrote:

> IS there a way to open a session with seperate read and write
> communities in Scotty? Currently I open 2 sessions to each
> component (one read and one write) but it seems that it would be
> easier to specify it all on one line at the session opening.

No. However, I see the practical value of your suggestion. It would
require to make the SNMP session structure a bit more complex
(especially for the USEC case) and to add a couple of new session
options. I am not really sure if this concept makes much sense in the
USEC case. Do you have a different user for set requests or just a
different password? Or just a different qoS? Would something like

-community -writecommunity (SNMPv1/SNMPv2C)
-password -writepassword (SNMPv2U)

be sufficient? The idea would be to implement it so that the
-writecommunity/-writepassword would be used only for set requests if
it is specified. Please let me know if you think this a good addition
to the API or if you think this is a broken idea.

Juergen