Re: Proper way to write an original agent?

Tatsuo Natsukawa (natsu@natsu.itjit.ad.jp)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:35:51 +0900

Robert and Jan-Peter,

Thank you for your advice, and I agree with you. Now I am studying
the tkined source. I hope it'll start to make sense to me.

Now this might not be a good topic for this mailing list, but since we
already have a discussion going...

My problem is that I need to walk through a big MIB-variable table to
compute the two numbers (number of open B channels and the number of
modems in use), and it takes quite a bit of time to walk through the
table, unless tkined and the Ascend are on the same LAN.

Although the computation is easy, I have to look at 272 MIB variables
to compute the number of open B channels and the number of modems in
use. The following table is in Ascend MIB:

callStatusTable----callStatusEntry----callStatusValidFlag
-callStatusDataRate
-...

There are 136 rows in the table. I have to first check whether the entry
in a particular row is valid, and if it's valid, I have to check the
data rate to figure out whether it's a modem connection or not.

I happen to have tkined and the Ascend on different LANs. What would
people do to minimize the agent-to-manager traffic in general?
Tatsuo Natsukawa natsu@itjit.ad.jp http://www.itjitnet.or.jp/~natsu/
finger natsu@natsu.itjit.ad.jp for my PGP public key