Re: Scotty installation misery

Greg A. Woods (woods@most.weird.com)
Fri, 21 Jun 96 22:59:00 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Fri, June 21, 1996 at 23:20:59 (+0100), Richard Achmatowicz wrote: ]
> Subject: Scotty installation misery
>
> I'm *trying* to install scotty on SunOS 4.1.3.

Worked like a charm for me on SunOS-4.1.1_U1 on a Sun-3.

A great deal of experience has shown that except for really weird cases,
such as embedded assembly language in the code, this platform is
essentially identical to 4.1.3 or 4.1.3_U1 or 4.1.4 on a sparc,
esp. when it comes to GNU autoconf'ed packages.

The patches I sent to this list included one minor correction to
configure.in to handle the setting of -lresolv in order to successfully
link at runtime when BIND's resolver(3) has been integrated into the
shared libraried.

I used the native compiler as follows:

CC=/usr/5bin/cc ./configure --verbose

and all worked perfectly the first time.

(I trust the headers and libraries for /usr/5* far more than /usr/ucb.)

> 1) I've met the -fPIC problem and, instead of blasting a perfectly good
> SunOS distribution, changed the scotty Makefile to read -fpic instead.
>
> The SunOS documentation states, concerning the use of the -pic option,
> that "in the (presumably rare) event the tables require a larger size,
> the compiler can be coerced into generating code sequences that permit
> larger linkage table entries with the -PIC option".
>
> Is there are proven need to use -PIC with these shared libraries?

For me configure correctly chose "-PIC" (though "-pic" would probably
work too, assuming there are not too many global data objects.

Perhaps this is another reason to trust /usr/5bin/cc more than any other....

> 2) Of course, I also hit the well-known problem:
>
> sledwick-373> make install
>[[....]]
> initialization failed: can't find package scotty 2.1.0
> This usually means that you have to define the TCLLIBPATH environment
> variable to point to the tnm library directory or you have to include
> the path to the tnm library directory in Tcl's auto_path variable.
> make: *** [tnm-install-library] Error 1
>
> In looking at the mailing list comments concerning this problem, I
> haven't seen a clear fix described.

You need the patches I submitted to the list last week. I can send them
directly if you are unable to find them.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734 VE3TCP robohack!woods Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>