Re: ANNOUNCE: Scotty-2.1.0 based on Tcl7.5/Tk4.1

Mani Chinnappan (mani@alantec.com)
Wed, 12 Jun 96 14:02:47 PDT

----------

Juergen,

I downloaded the README.UDP and index.txt from univ. of oregon
on TclUdp for your information. It seems this can be used by
scotty for getting udp channels. From your email, I gather that
the SUN people may not have the udp channel for a while.
Is this someting you can use as part of scotty?

thanks again,
/mani

> From schoenw@cs.utwente.nl Wed Jun 12 11:35:48 1996
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:35:16 +0200
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl>
> To: mani@alantec.com
> Cc: tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
> Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Scotty-2.1.0 based on Tcl7.5/Tk4.1
>

> mani@alantec.com (Mani Chinnappan) wrote:
>
> > Most of my scotty code that I've written uses asynchronous snmp
> > requests. This is kind of bad news for me as far as the NT goes.
> > I also heard that folks at Univ. of Oregon are doing UDP
> > socket interface for scotty. I am not sure whether that will
> > address the asynchronous problems?
>
> They are not doing for scotty. They are doing serious work but they
> require to recompile Tcl on Windows platforms. This is again a Tcl
> problem. They are implementing a UDP channel which is fine but a bit
> more than we really need.
> Juergen

----------

This Archive
------------
These release notes are for version 1.0b of the software. To find the latest
information, source, and samples please check my web page at:
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~chrisbo/udp/tcludp.html

This is tcludp, a library which adds udp sockets to the tcl/tk. One new
command has been defined, "udp", which behaves much like the existing
"socket" command. Multicast and broadcast addresses are supported.

Currently you can create a shared library which can be loaded at runtime
for Unix only! To use this code with Windows requires modification of the
Sun source distribution (the changed files are included here) and thus you
must recompile the tclsh and/or wish binaries themselves. Hopefully this
limitation will be lifted with a later release of tcl.

This archive contains files with which one can create a tcl library
for udp sockets. It should be extracted into the same directory as the
tcl7.5 distribution, where it will create two additional directories, /udp,
and /winudp.

UNIX
----
The /udp directory will contain the files necessary to add udp to the
unix tcl interpreter. The names of the files follow those of the the
corresponding files in the tcl7.5 distribution.

WINDOWS
-------
the /winudp directory contains files necessary to add udp to the windows
tcl interpreter. The names of the files follow those of the corresponding
files in the tcl7.5 distribution. The makefile included in this directory
is for Visual C++. Users of the Borland compiler will need to create
their own makefile. Note that I have had to modify tclAppInit.c and
tclWinSock.c to make this work under Windows. To use this code you must
recompile tclsh/wish; support for building a DLL does not yet exist. You
will have to copy these files into the /win directory, after backing up
tclAppInit.c and tclWinSock.c, if you desire.

I have made executables available for those without access to compilers,
though you should note that these were created with VC++, and I don't
know what that will do to any DLLs you currently load if they were made
for the Sun binary distribution, which uses Borland.

TESTS
-----
In addition, the following test files will be added to the /tests directory:
serv_ring.test ; one half of an expanding ring search using multicast
clnt_ring.test ; the other half of the ring search
serv_date.test ; a small date server
clnt_date.test ; the date client (you will have to modify this file to
; point to the correct date server).
bcast.test ; a sample script which uses broadcast to "chat" (you will
; have to modify this to point to the correct subnet).

MAN PAGES
---------
Finally, a new man page will be added to the /doc directory:
udp.n ; this is the man page for the udp command.

Creating The Libraries
----------------------
The makefiles included work on my system, but I make no promises for any
other. If you have extracted the files into a location other than the
tcl7.5 distribution tree you will have to modify the makefiles, as they
use relative paths to find the necessary include files.

Future Work
-----------
There is currently no support for the IP_MULTICAST_IF setsockopt flag.
There is no support for Macs. Supposedly the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP flag
is not supported by all WinSocks. Loopback does not work on my system,
so perhaps this is why. I'd like to find a Winsock which does support
this flag, and test the code on it. I plan on creating a Windows DLL
as soon as this is made possible by the tcl core.

Questions? Problems? Additions?
--------------------------------
Send mail to chrisbo@cs.uoregon.edu with any of the above, and I'll do my
best. If somebody with the resources feels like taking on the Mac port
I would be very grateful.

----------

TclUdp

This page contains links to the most recent distribution of the tcludp library,
an extension to tcl/tk which provides udp sockets.

Description

The current version is 1.0b. This file was last modified May 14, 1996.

The TclUdp library consists of a single new command "udp", which creates udp
sockets, just as the existing "socket" command creates tcp sockets. Multicast
and broadcast addresses are supported.

The following links lead to more information, or to distributions of the
library.

For the distribution's README file: README.UDP
For a man page on the new udp command: udp.n
For a windows 95 binaries package: tclstuff.zip
For a Solaris shared library: libUdp.so.gz
For source in a gzipped tar file: libUdp.tar.gz
For source in a zip file: libUdp.zip
For sample code: click here
And for a fun little game: Worms

Notes

This software is still beta, so there are bound to be problems. Please notify
me of any difficulties, and especially of any changes you have to make to get
the library working with a particular system. Send me mail if you're interested
in notification of updates.

Send comments/questions/bug reports to: chrisbo@cs.uoregon.edu