Re: How to be able to ping or telnet to groups

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:02:32 +0200

Alan Hannan <alan@gi.net> wrote:

> I would like to modify the tkined code such that I can ping,
> telnet, and do snmp queries to 'groups'. The rationale for this
> is that the operators can have a map w/ a few simple routers, and
> ping them, and telnet to them. If there's a problem, a member of
> the group will start flashing (like say a particular interface)
> then they can open up the group/router, and look to see what part
> of the router has the problem, ie what interface isn't reachable.

> I have tried to modify the tkined code of library.tcl in the
> following manner:

> But, it does not work :(

Well, I just did the same change in my sources. I also changed the
proc GetIpAddress to accept GROUP objects and it seems to work. Well,
there might be some other places in the scripts where a NODE object is
expected. How much work it is depends on how familiar you are with Tcl
so I can't give you an answer for your question.

> 1/ Is it relatively simple or hard?

See above - it depends.

> 2/ What procedures must be changed?

I don't know exactly. GetIpAddress and ForeachIpNode seem to be a good
start.

> 3/ Are there any side effects of this that I should be concerned with?

Note, GROUP objects were originally meant as simple container objects
and hence they don't have an address attribute. This might create
problems - however, I think you should be able to go ahead by using
the name attribute.

[I am now wondering if your change might be of general
interest. People with 250 ciscos can't be wrong. :-)]

Juergen