Re: scwish complains: couldn't connect to display.. xhost + done

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Tue, 14 May 1996 10:30:37 +0200

Sanjaya Choudhury <schoudhu@fore.com> wrote:

> Hi! I compiled scotty-2.0.2 with Tcl7.4/Tk4.0 on a SunOs box.
> After successful compilation, I tried to run scwish but it failed
> with the following message: "couldn't connect to display hostname:0.0 ".
> (Even if the access control is disabled on the host "hostname").

This is the good old `SunOS has a broken resolver' problem. scwish is
linked with the resolver library and this has the effect that you
can't resolve hostnames that are in the YP/NIS but not in the DNS.

This is really a bug in SunOS and the best way to get rid of it is to
fix SunOS. Get the resolv+-2.0 package which contains a description
how to replace the broken resolver setup with a better one.

Juergen