Re: mibtree with other community

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Fri, 10 May 1996 12:02:27 +0200

Ulrich Abele <abele%pcin01@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> wrote:

> Mibtree works only for public. - Is it possible to change the default
> community as in the snmp_browser setup?

No. There is no dialog for doing this.

> Is there a possible setup on a "per node basis" which sets the
> community on selected nodes automatically?

Yes. This is actually the idea because you will usually have different
community strings on different agents. The recommended was is to
define snmp aliases in one of the scotty startup files, e.g.

snmp alias myrouter "-addres a.b.c.d -community secret"

You can have aliases in aliases which allows to group machines with
similar passwords etc. See the scotty(1) man page for valid options.

Once you have a suitable alias, you create an attribute named
SNMP:Alias for the node object. The value of this attribute is one of
the known snmp aliases. The mibtree browser should accept this.

> Configured SNMP-Monitor jobs in tkined are not saved. What do I
> wrong (tkined.1.3.4)?

This should work. Start the jobs and save the map. If not, please
send me a more detailed description what you are doing.

Juergen