Re: experience on creating instances in scotty-2.0.2 agent (repost)

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Fri, 10 May 1996 11:53:55 +0200

david@elo.ods.com (David Engel) wrote:

> First, allow the MIB module name or MIB file name to be optionally
> used when specifying an object. For example,
>
> RFC1213-MIB!sysDescr.0 or
> rfc1213.mib!sysDescr.0
>
> This would solve the non-uniqueness problem as module names must be
> unique and object names must be unique within a module.

Good idea. The MIB module name is harder to implement as the parser
currently does not extract this information. Using the file name is
simpler (assuming that at least all names in all modules in a file are
unique). I would prefer to use the module name but this requires
some changes in internal data structures.

> Second, allow numeric subids to be specified using C syntax. For
> example,
>
> hostAddress.1.0x01.0x23.0x45.0x67.0x89.0xab
>
> I'm used to this instead of using ':'s when dealing with instances
> that are more naturally expressed in hexadecimal.

Yes, I agree. This is actually the syntax understood by the expr
command so this looks more natural. The problem is that a simple
change like this can break a number of scripts. Hard to estimate. If
we have consensus to change this, than it should go into the upcoming
2.1.0 version (which already has some minor incompatibilities).
Anyone out there who can not live with such a change?

> I could probably manage to work up the patches for these if you
> don't have time.

The second suggestion should be easy to do but the first one has not
high priority for me right now. Patches are always welcome but you
should note that suggestion one is not trivial.

Juergen