Re: Errors during installation of Scotty

Bjorn J. Villa (Bjorn.J.Villa@delab.sintef.no)
Wed, 1 May 96 10:44:51 +0200

At 22:29 30.04.96 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>"Bjorn J. Villa" <Bjorn.J.Villa@delab.sintef.no> wrote:
>
>> When I was installing Scotty with the TCL7.4 and TK4.0 this
>> errormessage did not appear, so why is it appearing now ? Does not
>> Scotty 2.0.2 run together with TCL7.5 and TK4.1 ?
>
>Exactly. There are massive changes in the Tcl C API and you can't take
>scotty-2.0.2 over easily. Wait until a Tcl7.5 compatible version is
>available.

As I thougth. Thank you for your answer.

When will (if it will) such a Tcl7.5 compatible version of Scotty be available ?

In the directory ./scotty-2.0.2/agents I was hoping to find stuff that was
going to teach me how to develop an SNMP agent using Scotty. When reading
the README file found in this directory I was quite optimistic. It seemed as
the first thing I had to do was to install a safe Tcl version to be able to
develop such an agent. I quote "..we recommend you to configure the Scotty
with the --with stcl option" in order to create a safe SNMP agent. Reading
this I thought that all I had to do was to upgrade the Tcl to version 7.5
and then I got the Safe Tcl option, but that was wrong (or?).

If the TCL 7.5 and TK4.1 do not work together with Scotty, how do I then
make SNMP agents ? Any examples (of safe or unsafe) ?

By the way, does anyone know if SNMP management applications of ATM switches
has been tried developed using
Tcl/Tk/Scotty ? The main reason reason for my interest in Tcl/Tk/Scotty is
that I hope it will be suited for developing
a control and management system for an experimental ATM high speed switch
chip. If it works I am planning to make my results available to those of you
having interest.

> Juergen

Bjorn J. Villa Research Scientist

SINTEF Telecom and Informatics Tlf. ++ 47 73 59 27 48
N-7034 Trondheim Fax. ++ 47 73 59 26 36
Norway Tlf. priv. ++ 47 73 93 31 96

Email: Bjorn.J.Villa@delab.sintef.no