SNMP configuration help (was: NO SUBJECT)

David Carmean (dlc@silcom.com)
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 13:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

In a previous message, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Hi!
>
> dlc@silcom.com (David Carmean) wrote:
>
> David> I've just started experimenting again with tkined 1.3.4, and
> David> am being frustrated by several behaviors.
>
> All things you mention just show that you don't understand how to use
> the tool. (I can understand if someone is frustrated about missing
> documentation - but complaining about behaviors that you do not
> understand is frustrating for me.) If you are really frustrated about
> tkined, either sit down and write some code to improve things or go
> and buy a commercial system.

Sorry...bad choice of words, I guess. Wasn't meant to be
a complaint. It's clear that I seem to be missing something fundamental.

> David> First, when I set up an SNMP monitor job which requires a community
> David> name other than "public," the community name isn't ever saved
> David> in the file. Perhaps I'm setting it wrong...I use the
> David> SNMP-Monitor/Set Parameter option from the pulldown. I can get the
> David> stripcharts to work fine within that session, but not if I save and
> David> restart the view.
>
> You should define an attribute SNMP:Alias or SNMP:Config for these
> nodes which either contains an SNMP alias name or the session
> configuration options. See the scotty man page for details about SNMP
> aliases and session options. All SNMP tools will automatically use
> these attributes if they exist.

It seems that setting SNMP:Config works for all *except* the
SNMP-Monitor tool. Any clues?

[snip]

> David> Third, I want to use the SNMP Interface Load monitor on some
> David> devices which always report the Interface Speed as zero. I see
> David> in the help info that I'm supposed to be able to set an attribute
> David> called SNMP-Monitor:IfSpeed to allow this to work, but I can't figure
> David> out where or how. To be specific, how can I force ifSpeed.1 to
> David> 1544000 for nodeX?
>
> Just set the attribute. Move your mouse to the interface load
> stripchart for interface 1 and press the right mouse button. Select
> "Create a new attribute", enter the name SNMP-Monitor:IfSpeed and set
> the value to 1544000. This should solve your problem.

It won't create the charts in the first place...I get a message
that says

Interface 1 on router.foo.com [198.168.0.1] ignored (ifSpeed = 0).

(This is from a Livingston Portmaster router.)

I will look in the source for this feature and comment it out, I
guess....

Thanks....

--
David Carmean		WB6YZM		DC574		<dlc@silcom.com>
	System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications