Re: Subnetmasks

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:42:20 +0200

Hi!

Henrik Juul Hansen <JUUL@FTNS-DK.atlas.fr> wrote:

> I have just joined this list - so excuse me if this is off the
> topic or has been answered a thusand times. Any kind of help is
> welcomed.

> How do I use subnetmasks in tkined? Both with ip_discover and
> tkined in general. Is there a data structure for storing this
> information?

The subnet mask problem is not solved right now. So there is no
standard way to store this information. Sorry.

> My machines does not answer "icmp mask" - result 0.0.0.0 which
> gives no subnetmask. Is there a way to set a default subnetmask?

No.

> Also what about Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM)?

This would be nice to have. There will be a bit more support for it in
the C code of the next release (actually a command option of the netdb
command to list all IP addresses given a network address and a subnet
mask). However, I currently don't have the time to rewrite the
discover script. So this will have to wait (until someone sends me
patches :-).

> part 2. On equipment with more interfaces like routers. How do I
> store the IP address of all the interfaces?

You should be able to put multiple IP addresses seperated by
whitespaces into the address attribute. The tools should just take the
first IP address of this list. If some tools fail, just drop me a note
and I will try to fix them.

Juergen