Re: Extra Cisco functionality for tkined?

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 16:07:40 -0600

>From: mje@posix.co.za
>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:06:55 +0000
>To: tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
>Subject: Extra Cisco functionality for tkined?
>
>Has anyone added some extra cisco specific functionality to tkined
>along the following lines...
>
>To Upload and download configs (load/write net command) and to perform
>the 'write mem' command...
>
>The 'load' command would get the Cisco to do an tftp to a host to
>grab the config.
>
>Very useful when trying to maintain a bunch of Cisco's...
>
>Oh - I'm in need of such facilities - but have lost my Cisco book with
>all the MIB info...

You wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing even if you did have the
Cisco mibs. These are privileged operations that require the enable
password. I wouldn't want to be able to do these via SNMP-1 because of
the lack of security. The truly paranoid do this only via encrypted
links directly through the console. ;)

PS, the mibs are available at ftp.cisco.com in the pub/mibs directory

Of course, you could write an expect script to do this. Or, you could
open up the telnet port and with judicious use of send and recv you
could manipulate it to do this. But, that would require hardcoding the cisco
login and enable password in your script.. Yuck!! (or popping up a dialog
box, typing it in, and then passing it over the network in the clear - may
be okay in some environments).

Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
			doug@eng.auburn.edu
		Pro is to Con as progress is to congress