Re: changing flash intervals for ip-monitoring

John P. Rouillard (rouilj@cs.umb.edu)
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 09:11:28 -0400

In message <9408151003.AA28296@data>,
Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:

>John> I have been using tkined/scotty 0.9i for a while now to do montoring
>John> and the like. While I have a color monitor, and I can see that a host
>John> that has gone down is displayed in red, one of the people who will be
>John> doing the monitoring for me only has a monochrome x terminal. Needless
>John> to say, the color red isn't easily distinguishable 8-).
>
>John> What I want to do is decrease the flash interval to say 5 seconds. It
>John> doesn't appear that there is an easy way to do this. I can change the
>John> default test interval from the tkined.default, but it doesn't appear I
>John> can change the flash interval used by the ip-monitor script.
>
>Here is what I have done regarding this problem:
>
>o Setting the interval for monitoring jobs using a scale was a bad
> idea. What happened is that you changed the interval to 5 seconds
> by setting the default, but tkined did not show it, because the
> scale starts at a minimum of 10 seconds.
>
>o Intervals were not restored when you loaded a previously saved map.
> This is hopefully fixed in the next version.
>
>o Flashing icons were not supported by tkined. Instead, the reachability
> script just changed the icon a few times. This is very expensive
> and can not be done frequently because the script has better things
> to do.
>
> I have added a new flash command to tkined which allows an
> application to let tkined flash an icon for a given duration. This
> command is now used to flash the icon until the next test for
> reachability is done.
>
>Any suggestions?

With regard to above, no, it sounds good. One thing that is necessary
is the ability to remove ip monitor jobs. As of now, I can suspend
them, but I can't delete them. This isn't a problem with jobs that
produce a graph, but for jobs like reachability, I don't want to have
to kill the icon just to remove the graph. Also killing the entire IP
monitor just to kill one of the monitoring jobs is a bit much.

So could you add a "delete" to the popup box that lets you modify the
ip-monitor jobs.

-- John
John Rouillard

Senior Systems Administrator IDD Information Services
rouilj@dstar.iddis.com Waltham, MA (617) 890-7227 x225

Senior Systems Consultant (SERL Project) University of Massachusetts at Boston
rouilj@cs.umb.edu (preferred) Boston, MA, (617) 287-6480